Skip to main content

Truth Unveiling Rappers!



I am so flabbergasted at the power of the internet and Globalization. They have together opened us up to a vastness of cultural diversity that exists within the world as a whole. Being one of the proudest members of the MTV and VH1 generation, I’d like to write about the genre of music that moves me the most- Rap.







To be honest I did not like rap music at first. I still remember the first time I listened to Eminem’s “real slim shady”. My bestest friend Sarah’s brother is a fan of Eminem and he often listened to his tapes. I remember asking Sarah what in the name of god the noise was! But little did I know back then, I would become a sucker for the “noise” too! Here are my favorites. 


The very first rap that made me realize that there was something beyond the rhythmic music associated with it was Eminem’s “Lose yourself”. I mean he is such a “godlike” cult figure and still expresses the nervousness he has to face before performing in front of an audience. You would think it is all easier because he has already reached that level where nothing can scare him! But like Uma Thurman’s character Rebecca Duvall says in “Smash”, the fear never goes away no matter what stage you are in.

Eminem also tells us how it is easier to seize the moment- Carpe Diem once you get into the groove. The rap reconstructed a sense of self-belief in me. Now I always try to seize the moments because I firmly believe,  (thanks Eminem!) that “opportunity comes once in a life time”! 

Airplanes- B.O.B ft. Hayley Williams

I love this particular song not just for its lyrics but the soothing voice of Paramore’s Hayley Williams. This is one of those special songs that have made a permanent place in both my playlist and in my heart J. When Hayley goes “can we pretend that the airplanes..” And I already start looking at the night sky (at night of course!) to see if a plane is passing by so I can make a wish. 




This song is more special to me because I really love watching the airplanes at night. Being in a city like Banglore is kind of a boon to me because I can see a plane almost every night. It is a very beautiful sight, isn't it?


To be honest I am not much a fan of Nicki’s. But I love all Riri’s songs. This is the song I first listened to on radio. I wouldn’t normally listen to English FM stations as I prefer Hindi ones to them. But somehow on a very fateful day (I know! Very dramatic right?!), I happened to catch this song. I wanted to switch the station but found the lyrics very interesting and ended up listening to the whole song.

I loved it when “New directions” covered it on Glee since I so loved Naya and Lea Michael’s duet. I particularly loved the following lines from the rap: 

"Me, me, me against them
Me against enemies, me against friends
Somehow they both seem to become one"

Sometimes it is none but you. You have to choose your battles right and emerge out victorious. It all boils down to how you alone can manage certain situations of life. I know the song is more about a woman but I would like to generalize here as it applies to everyone irrespective of gender.  We all can “win, survive, prosper and rise”. Amen.

Apart from these, I also love some of the songs by Li’ll Wayne and Drake. But I must say if MJ was the King of Pop, Eminem is the King of Rap! 

And I also like songs by Pitbull but only when I am in a party mood because I really don’t get much of what he says except for “Dale” and “Mr. Worldwide”!



 Someday hopefully decipher the mystery behind him calling himself, (with so much pride) “Mr. Worldwide”! I mean, seriously. What does it really mean? That he travels a lot or that he kind of has so much money or something? Well someday.. ;) 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Steven Eckholdt – The most Hate-able Person on TV

Ok so it’s not about his personality to start with, but the characters he has played over the years, that have made him the most hateable TV person on my list. I know he is handsome and totally metrosexual – looking, but hey, nobody coerced him into playing the two worst characters on Television. So here goes, the “ that third guy who broke the cute couple up” roles he played: Mark Robinson – FRIENDS: Who doesn’t remember his character Mark Robinson from FRIENDS? We all hated him, when he got Rachel an interview at Bloomingdale’s, we hated him when Rachel hugged him leaving Ross cold after her interview, we hated him when he got her Chinese food right after Ross & Rachel’s situation which later got very famous as the “we were on a break” scene, we hated him when he told Rachel he had a huge crush on her but didn’t act upon it because she was with Ross then, we hated him and this was the last nail in the coffin– when he took Rachel out and hurt Ross (Unintentional?

The Most Important Groupies of All Times

The Rock n Roll storm of the 60s was a much needed revolution in the music history which gave us many great bands and musicians the world segments as “legends” today. While we are all well aware of how much this time period was unequivocally the best time to “be discovered” in the music industry, I wonder how many of us truly notice what kind of opulence being discovered led to.Money – check, villa – check, vanity, private jets – check, fame – check, women – check oh check! Women – as musicians were a small group compared to the behemoth group of male musicians in the 60s and the 70s. Pattie Smith, Stevie Nicks and a handful more made their mark in the male dominated music industry. Also behind the veil were the groupie clan that slowly and steadily made their ways into the rainbow lives of artists – satisfying the egos and “other things” these men were “in need” of. Being a groupie was more than legitimate if these girls (also men, yes there were male groupies also ) were of

Jodie Sweetin is back, you guys!

Three and a half years ago, I wrote a post about Jodie Sweetin and other child stars who went through traumas growing up. Little did I know, Jodie would be back with a bang! Because Full House is a syndicated show and I possess all 8 seasons of it in my hard disk (Thanks Susie !), I am frequently re-watching the show to kill boredom (or to feel good that I was born to a beautifully calm gen). And also I am a very huge fan of Stephanie Tanner that it border-lines on obsession sometimes! I was always keen on seeing where the girls of Full House would end up as grown-ups. And like most of the child stars of 90s, Hollywood wasn't generous on them. While Jodie and Candace continued to act, Andrea Barber left the whole scene to go live a conventional house wife life. I dont want this to look like a biased opinion of a Jodie loyalist, but she was special. She was not only a Grade A actress, but also a talented dancer and singer. You can see snippets of her dancing on the show in