Skip to main content

Badassery, thy name is Ma Anand Sheela!


When Netflix’s recommendation displayed the docu-series “Wild,Wild Country”, I was uninterested. One of my friends had enlightened me about Osho Rajneesh’s teachings when we were still teenagers. The bits and pieces of the cult, she had gathered from one of the neighbour uncles, who at the time I think had no filter as to what to be shared with teenagers and what not, didn’t sound sound to me. According to her information, Osho was a spiritual guru who encouraged people to find happiness via physical means! At the time, I wasn’t sure she even knew what she was talking about! But anyways, that was the picture I had in mind of Osho. As a grown up, I am no longer a prude but the image of Osho hadn’t changed until recently.



I started watching the series because it had tons of hippie culture shades. I have been fascinated with hippies and their liberated way of living ever since I watched Woodstock documentary. So, the summary as was on Netflix, got me a bit curious and so I started. And in a matter of 3 days, I had finished binging on the entire season. What however caught my attention was not Osho, but Ma Anand Sheela, Rajneeshi cult’s chief. I sided with her from the 3rd episode and I started questioning my morals and principles by doing so. But then I checked twitter. Everyone was so in awe of Ma Anand Sheela, my fangirling which would otherwise be deemed creepy, was hence normalized.



So, it got me thinking. Do we like Sheela because we are all hungry for a feminist idol? A badass woman who lived by her own rules? The person who took over an entire city by just the virtue of her individual strength? I still cannot answer it without being biased. I would give it a try anyways, I love her because she embodies this flawless flawed, brave character who has no limits when it comes to protecting what she loves the most. Now if the extremities of her actions were right, is still up for a debate.



The best part I think about the series is how natural her management skills look. She spear-heads building of an entire city!! What now? 70s and 80s were such strange times. I can understand people worshipping Osho. I think the fact that he blurred the lines between morality and immorality and encouraged people to explore each other, was why his followers loved him. He was an INDIAN guru! Apparently, we have more knowledge of spirituality than the rest of the world and in a way, he was a yogi. But building a city for HIM, how often do you see that happen?



And Sheela taking over the supervisory role and then managing Osho’s money, makes her an amazing case study for management text books. The woman just got things done (In the words of the great Olivia Pope, “it is handled”). People looked up to her. Osho’s paved a way for Sheela to be the head of decision-making when he decided to go mute. When he did attend the congregations, all he did was shake his shoulders and bring his arms higher with each shake! And everything else was solely managed by Sheela. If I had to rely on Sheela for branding and management, I would gladly limit myself to shaking my shoulders and smiling creepily too! Am I right?



I do not approve of her using unlawful methods to gather more votes for the Rajaneeshis or getting the cult to learn handling guns to protect the loyal members of the group. But what I do approve of is the commitment and the passion at which she executed all her plans. The way she smiled at people mockingly, or the display of nonchalance at the times of distress. That is amusing in a strange way, isn’t it? It is a sign of a person who is confident of their actions. At peak Sheela, the cult also witnessed its progress.




From the entire docu-series, all that mesmerized people was Sheela. How the directors got hold of such lengthy footage, is still such a riddle but I am glad they did. I am glad even at her old age, Sheela’s still such a badass, the intensity with which she narrates her side of the story still gets people to vouch for her to win in the end. I loved how it ended. Sheela at peace. Oh and also, Osho’s doctor deserved to be stabbed in the butt! 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Steven Eckholdt – The most Hate-able Person on TV

Ok so it’s not about his personality to start with, but the characters he has played over the years, that have made him the most hateable TV person on my list. I know he is handsome and totally metrosexual – looking, but hey, nobody coerced him into playing the two worst characters on Television. So here goes, the “ that third guy who broke the cute couple up” roles he played: Mark Robinson – FRIENDS: Who doesn’t remember his character Mark Robinson from FRIENDS? We all hated him, when he got Rachel an interview at Bloomingdale’s, we hated him when Rachel hugged him leaving Ross cold after her interview, we hated him when he got her Chinese food right after Ross & Rachel’s situation which later got very famous as the “we were on a break” scene, we hated him when he told Rachel he had a huge crush on her but didn’t act upon it because she was with Ross then, we hated him and this was the last nail in the coffin– when he took Rachel out and hurt Ross (Unintentional?

The Most Important Groupies of All Times

The Rock n Roll storm of the 60s was a much needed revolution in the music history which gave us many great bands and musicians the world segments as “legends” today. While we are all well aware of how much this time period was unequivocally the best time to “be discovered” in the music industry, I wonder how many of us truly notice what kind of opulence being discovered led to.Money – check, villa – check, vanity, private jets – check, fame – check, women – check oh check! Women – as musicians were a small group compared to the behemoth group of male musicians in the 60s and the 70s. Pattie Smith, Stevie Nicks and a handful more made their mark in the male dominated music industry. Also behind the veil were the groupie clan that slowly and steadily made their ways into the rainbow lives of artists – satisfying the egos and “other things” these men were “in need” of. Being a groupie was more than legitimate if these girls (also men, yes there were male groupies also ) were of

Jodie Sweetin is back, you guys!

Three and a half years ago, I wrote a post about Jodie Sweetin and other child stars who went through traumas growing up. Little did I know, Jodie would be back with a bang! Because Full House is a syndicated show and I possess all 8 seasons of it in my hard disk (Thanks Susie !), I am frequently re-watching the show to kill boredom (or to feel good that I was born to a beautifully calm gen). And also I am a very huge fan of Stephanie Tanner that it border-lines on obsession sometimes! I was always keen on seeing where the girls of Full House would end up as grown-ups. And like most of the child stars of 90s, Hollywood wasn't generous on them. While Jodie and Candace continued to act, Andrea Barber left the whole scene to go live a conventional house wife life. I dont want this to look like a biased opinion of a Jodie loyalist, but she was special. She was not only a Grade A actress, but also a talented dancer and singer. You can see snippets of her dancing on the show in