Skip to main content

My Favorite Travel Songs

 

I hate to admit it, but my thoughts about pandemic situation enriching our creative lives have changed now after being in isolation mode for almost a year πŸ™Š. Y’all know that Google Photos has this notification feature for showing your photos “same day x year/s ago”, right? So it’s been throwing these travel pics on my face which has me feeling seriously sad about not having hopped on a flight for what seems like ages. So to assuage the desire, I have started revisiting the songs that had been my favourites on my travels.  

I have a few songs that are deeply connected to some of my travels. They are mostly on my business trips understandably so because if you are on personal trips, your evil twin wants to constantly talk and hence no earphones time! Well anyways. Without further ado , here they are – 

1. Stereo Hearts – Gym Class Heroes ft Adam Levine – I remember wearing my 500 rupees fake Dr.Dre’s during one of my walks from the hotel to my workplace in London. Waiting to cross the street and being excited about how beautiful London was despite having seen a glimpse of it in the last 12/13 hours. I had landed just the day before on a rainy day. I hadn’t minded getting drenched and carrying my enormous trolleys by myself to the hotel. I was remembering how perfect the imperfection of the day was when the signal turned green for crossing to the other side while Stereo hearts played in bombass Dr.Dre imitation headphones. The weather, contrasted to the previous day’s and was bright and sunny and it felt supremely pleasant like the song was made for the day. 



2. Yaadon Mein – Jab Harry Met Sejal – This was during one of my business trips to Dubai. I was always accompanied by one of our other team members on all of my previous trips except this one. He had moved to Dubai to take care of and build the UAE business from the ground up. So I had the opportunity to stroll across the city by myself. I remember stepping out of the hotel to go get some Muskmelon juice at a small eatery nearby at around 11pm for I had a deep craving for it. As soon as I got out, I was met by a gorgeous full moon in the night sky in all its glory. I was listening to "Ghar" from the album and then it changed to "Yaadon mein". I hadn’t listened to it before since I don’t think it’s as much popular as the other songs on the album. The song, the night sky, the moon, the empty roads, these big, gorgeous street lights and a stadium light shining from across this school premises opposite the hotel – The song always takes me back to that night. It was surreal for me to be experiencing so much beauty at once. 

By the way the song has stunning Opera-ish quality to it. If you haven't already, give it a listen here - 



3. Perfect – Cover – This was already my favorite song for a year before it left a special mark. I was again walking towards hotel from a small cafΓ© where I enjoyed some chai at night in Dubai. I am a huge fan of Beyonce’s (yeah I know she was only featured in an Ed Sheeran’s song but still) so when I heard someone covering “Perfect” in this certain venue which I could guess was where a wedding was taking place, it felt … wait for it.. perfect! I stood there for a while and enjoyed the song standing by the sidewalk ! Crazy I know but supremely poetic for me. 



4. Unchained Melody – The Righteous Brothers -  Oh my my! Firstly, what a beautiful song. I first heard the song in the movie “Ghost” and then .. ashamed to say it but on “Two and a half men” when Holland Taylor’s character sings it for the conman she is about to marry. I personally love the cover by Sonny and Cher but on that fateful day I was listening to the original. It was a few days before Eid and Abu Dhabi was bejewelled with all these rice lights, bottle lights, fairy lights around the city! There were even 2 huge banners which were basically fixed with bright lights created to reflect the shape of a crescent moon. I had had the urge to walk around the city to observe the decorations. Went into this small restaurant to sip some coffee, it had a waiting line so sat outside on the small bench and listened to the song on a loop. Was a top notch experience for me. 



5. Kashmir – I am a huge fan of Led Zeppelin's and so I must have listened to Kashmir about a zillion times. It is the perfect song for me to listen to whenever the plane is about to land. It provides these nice effects and helps keep calm for when the plane starts to descend from its cruising altitude to when the Spoilers (I was about to call it Phalange but then googled for the right word) open on the wings and the wheels touch the ground and you see how other passengers have already removed seat belts to race towards getting their luggage first (Indian travelers obviously) and still continue to chill until they have all raced towards the door to presumably go save the world (I mean that kind of hurry, am I right?). Kashmir is for decluttering, period. 




So there it is. My top 5 travel songs list. Thanks for reading. 

Comments

  1. 😊😊this is beautiful! I felt nostalgic and while I was reading...I started thinking about the songs that I played during my travel to Dubai! One of which is - our favourite - "i want it that way" by Backstreet boys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GK, is that you ? :D Thanks for leaving a lovely comment :*

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Steven Eckholdt – The most Hate-able Person on TV

Ok so it’s not about his personality to start with, but the characters he has played over the years, that have made him the most hateable TV person on my list. I know he is handsome and totally metrosexual – looking, but hey, nobody coerced him into playing the two worst characters on Television. So here goes, the “ that third guy who broke the cute couple up” roles he played: Mark Robinson – FRIENDS: Who doesn’t remember his character Mark Robinson from FRIENDS? We all hated him, when he got Rachel an interview at Bloomingdale’s, we hated him when Rachel hugged him leaving Ross cold after her interview, we hated him when he got her Chinese food right after Ross & Rachel’s situation which later got very famous as the “we were on a break” scene, we hated him when he told Rachel he had a huge crush on her but didn’t act upon it because she was with Ross then, we hated him and this was the last nail in the coffin– when he took Rachel out and hurt Ross (Unintentional?

The Most Important Groupies of All Times

The Rock n Roll storm of the 60s was a much needed revolution in the music history which gave us many great bands and musicians the world segments as “legends” today. While we are all well aware of how much this time period was unequivocally the best time to “be discovered” in the music industry, I wonder how many of us truly notice what kind of opulence being discovered led to.Money – check, villa – check, vanity, private jets – check, fame – check, women – check oh check! Women – as musicians were a small group compared to the behemoth group of male musicians in the 60s and the 70s. Pattie Smith, Stevie Nicks and a handful more made their mark in the male dominated music industry. Also behind the veil were the groupie clan that slowly and steadily made their ways into the rainbow lives of artists – satisfying the egos and “other things” these men were “in need” of. Being a groupie was more than legitimate if these girls (also men, yes there were male groupies also ) were of

Jodie Sweetin is back, you guys!

Three and a half years ago, I wrote a post about Jodie Sweetin and other child stars who went through traumas growing up. Little did I know, Jodie would be back with a bang! Because Full House is a syndicated show and I possess all 8 seasons of it in my hard disk (Thanks Susie !), I am frequently re-watching the show to kill boredom (or to feel good that I was born to a beautifully calm gen). And also I am a very huge fan of Stephanie Tanner that it border-lines on obsession sometimes! I was always keen on seeing where the girls of Full House would end up as grown-ups. And like most of the child stars of 90s, Hollywood wasn't generous on them. While Jodie and Candace continued to act, Andrea Barber left the whole scene to go live a conventional house wife life. I dont want this to look like a biased opinion of a Jodie loyalist, but she was special. She was not only a Grade A actress, but also a talented dancer and singer. You can see snippets of her dancing on the show in